Monday 22 August 2016

Inquiry Update

The writing programme is cruising along. We've hit a few bumps but we're trying to find a way up the mountain.  Some very helpful feedback from Juanita Garden (AP) revealed that I had shifted the focus of my writing towards vocabulary and had removed some of the successful scaffolds that I had been using in the past.  I have since reintroduced these scaffolds and they are providing a useful framework for the children to hold onto.

It's also become clear that writing can be a tricky area to hook the children's interest in. She's a fickle mistress. One of my boys started one writing task off very slowly to the extent that I thought I would get very little from him. The following day he went for it and did his best writing to date! The praise I gave him seemed to motivate him greatly and consequently he seemed more engaged in other tasks the following day.

My learning to date would be as follows:


  • make sure kids are as settled as possible before starting with clear expectations
  • talk through the task before hand and input in as much awesome vocab/grammar as possible
  • try to engage the children as much as possible
  • scaffold the task and have that scaffold available to the kids
  • monitor/help/praise/manage
I want to really try to engage the kids more to the tasks. I did a little piece of mime to motivate them to write about the 100m sprint which went down well.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh, praise, a great motivator.
    How are the scaffolds helping them to write better/more that they would be able to on their own?

    ReplyDelete